Saturday, April 24, 2010

Off to the Races at Royal Randwick






Well I am getting down to about the last two weeks now of my time here in Australia and I cannot believe it. Looking back I have done so much, seen a ton, experienced and learned more than I ever thought I would and even in these last two weeks I am fitting in new, fun, and exciting things.

For example yesterday me and about twelve other friends got dressed up, ate some brunch here at the college, caught the ferry and headed over to Royal Randwick for the horse races. It was so much fun and like nothing I have ever experienced before. It is like attending a sporting event of some sort but at the same time a totally different culture. Everyone was dressed up and looking snazzy walking around the beautiful grounds eating, drinking, and betting on the different races that took place throughout the afternoon. It reminded me of Pretty Woman when the go to the horse races and Julia Roberts is dressed in that adorable polka dot dressed with her big hat, and looking around at the people at the horse races they would fit in perfectly with that scene. It was so much fun to be all dressed up and take part in this culture and exciting event. There were eight total races that happened yesterday one of which was the Sydney Cup, which is apparently a pretty big deal. My friends and I lucked out and got spots right up against the front of the fence line right next to the track. It was quite exhilarating as you watched the horses round the corner and felt the thunder of the ground as the raced by you. We were, like I previously mentioned, right up in front so we got to see the last 100 meters of about every race which was perfect. Some races you could tell the winning horse and jockey because they were so far ahead but sometimes in the last 100 meters the lead horse could get passed and in one particular race we saw one of the underdog horses grab the win. It was very exciting and definitely another awesome experience to add to the long list since I have been here :)

The bittersweet phase of not wanting to leave and being exciting to go home is definitely setting in. I do miss my family and friends a lot and am pumped for the moment I can hug my loved ones again, but at the same time Australia has been fabulous. I have learned so much and seen more than I ever thought I would. It has been an unforgettable and life changing experience for sure that I am excited to share with others. My friends here have without a doubt made my time here what it is. Whether it has just been a classmate, someone who lives down my hall, or for many of the life long friends that I have spent so much of my time here with that I will never forget, who have changed my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment